Mobility Scooter Road Tax

Do You Need it?

There are three types of invalid carriages:

Class 1 - manual wheelchairs, that is self-propelled or attendant-propelled, not powered

Class 2 - powered wheelchairs and scooters, primarily for footway use, with a maximum speed of 4 miles (or 6.4 kilometers) per hour and a maximum un-laden weight of 113.4 kilograms (250 pounds). Class 2 vehicles must also have an effective braking system and must use lights and reflectors when being used at night.

Class 3 - powered wheelchairs and scooters, for use on roads/highways with a maximum speed of 8 miles (or 12.8 kilometers) per hour, with the facility to limit the maximum speed to 4 mph for use when travelling on footways.

Depending on which class your scooter falls into will determine if you require tax or not. All class 1 and 2 scooters and wheelchairs will not need road tax. Class 1 and 2 scooters are restricted to use on pavements and walkways and must not be used on roads.

Class 3 scooters MUST be taxed and can be used on most roads (motorway use is prohibited). Just like class 1 and 2 scooters they can be used on pavements and walkways, but only at a maximum speed of 4 mph.

Where Can I Tax my Invalid Carriage?

The Best place to acquire taxation forms is from your local post office. To register and license a class 3 invalid carriage, you need to complete form V55/5 for used vehicles, or V55/4 for new vehicles. Send the completed form to your nearest DVLA local office. Include evidence of the vehicle's age (if available) and documentation confirming the keeper's name and address. Once your invalid carriage is registered with DVLA, they should send you a 12 month tax disc, before your current tax disc expires.

New and used class 3 invalid carriages need to be registered for road use, be licensed in the 'disabled' taxation class and display a nil duty tax disc.

Invalid carriages do not need to provide evidence of Vehicle Excise Duty exemption when licensing in the disabled class.

Taxing your scooter is FREE!